Monday, April 8, 2013

Yom Ha'Shoah: Holocaust Remembrance Day 2013

Yesterday evening at sundown marked the beginning of Holocaust Remembrance Day. About six million Jews were killed in this horrible display of humanity at its worst. They were rounded up in ghettos before being shipped off to various camps to either be put straight to death or worked until the Nazis felt that they were of no more use.

Caera, Shannon, and
my small act of rememberance
Friends of mine came into Dallas this weekend and we decided to take a trip downtown to the Dallas Holocaust Museum  to pay our respects to those that were so brutally murdered. I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't gotten down there yet, but I'm very happy that we went. It was remarkable and while  I have studied the Holocaust before every face, every article of clothing, or pair of glasses, or gold tooth that is left behind pulls at my soul in a new way. We cannot begin to understand.

Time limitations and the abundance of information guarantees that I missed more than a few pictures and articles. I have a feeling that if I were to go back every day for a week I might not hear everything that is recorded for the self-guided tour. Each section offered new facts and information about the ghettos, the death camps, and life for the Jewish people and others that the Nazis believed to be lesser.

We had the honor of meeting a survivor, however briefly. Mike Jacobs was signing copies of his book at the entrance to the main section of the museum. I haven't had a chance to read his book, but it is certainly on my list. With the shortness of people's memories and humanity's willingness to forget the past, it's terrible to think what will happen when this generation passes away.

I know that this isn't a long post, and it is not for lack of things to say. If had been any other Monday it may have gone without an update, but I cannot, in good conscious, let this day pass without at least saying something in regards to it. I hope we always remember the people that died so that we will not allow it again. Sadly, there are still people that would play this out in our generation.

I ran across this video a few years ago. It's shocking to say the least, and took place in our own schools here in the United States. A young woman, part of the school's MSA organization, claimed to agree with the head of Hezbollah in his statement that all Jews should be rounded up in Israel so that he does not have to hunt them down globally. In other words, he wishes to have a second Holocaust.

Please remember their suffering that the Nazi's inflicted on the Jewish people and let's do what so many refused to do in the 1930's and early '40's: Stand up. Remember.





No comments:

Post a Comment